Monday, September 13, 2010

Okay, fine,I like work

I do. I really, really love my job. I can say that because it is September, a new beginning, a new school year. And teaching is a lot like labor. After time, we forget the pain and sign up to do it all over again.

But the benefits of my job are so large and vast. The benefits of my job are never in the immediate, but always in the return. The benefits of my job are the human faces and smiles I get to greet and talk to every day...and no matter how those faces acted toward their mama that morning, or what those smiling mouths screamed down the hallway moments before entering my room, they are delightful to be with for the closetoanhour each day.

Really.

I can say that, because it is September. And teaching is a lot like fish it smells and tastes rank by the end of it's life. But that too is just right. I SHOULD want to throw out my students by the end of the year. It should be time for them to move on and put their skills and knowledge to the test.

Which they did this year.

They sent me emails telling me about all the new analyzing they were applying to their everyday world. They came back at the beginning of the year to say, "hey." which translates to, "I dig that you dug me and put up with me on my worst days and still thought I was worth your time."

And that is why I love my job.

The benefits are out of this world.

1 comment:

Heather said...

And THAT, my friend, is why you are an excellent teacher.