Lose weight! Get organized! Pursue purpose!
Do we make the same promises to ourselves year after year? I know sometimes I do.
This year, some of my intentions will be the same, but I am focusing on living a true life. We've all heard that there are so many good things to do that it's easy to say "yes" and lose ourselves along the way. In general, this hasn't been the case for me, although I have certainly walked through overcommitted times where I felt I was doing good stuff that wasn't necessarily the right stuff for me. All in all, though, I'm fairly good about focusing. Sometimes, too good.
This year I have a few thoughts, rather than resolutions, that I want to pursue for 2010.
- I have 6 years until my oldest son leaves for college. It doesn't seem possible, but there it is. I just had him, I swear, and now he is in full teen-years mode. This year I will focus on trying to understand the young man he's growing into, to encouraging his gifts, to supporting his faith. Really, these goals are no different than those I've had the past 13 years, they just seem bigger now, somehow.
- In the coming months, I plan to jettison the activities that aren't closest to my heart and focus more energy on the ones that are.
- As I do every year, I'll spend time with good friends. Some years are harder than others. I'll try my best to make sure this year isn't one of them.
- Keep running. And doing Pilates. And, as long as my knees and hips hold out, playing basketball. These are activities I enjoy that help my heart beat stronger. I love that.
- My husband and I will celebrate 18 years of marriage this May. We've been blessed with a strong committment to one another through thick and tthin. My vow for this year is to make sure he knows how glad I am that we chose one another all those years ago. I'd choose him again in a heartbeat.
Happy, almost, 2010 everyone. Let me know your hopes, dreams & goals for 2010--how lucky we are to see another year.