Friday, April 16, 2010

AP Cake

First of all, I have absolutely no idea why this is called "AP Cake."  When I first heard my mother-in-law pronounce it, I thought she said, "Abbey Cake," which is how I recorded it in my recipe book.  When I mentioned it to my husband's aunt, though, she corrected me.  She didn't know why on earth it has this name either.  So, if you know, please let us know!  Either way, it's a great sort of coffee cake type of thing.

This recipe is from my husband's Italian grandmother.  I assume it was passed down from her mother, and apologize that I can't credit exactly where it came from.   I like to make it in the spring, often for Easter, but think it would be great anytime.

AP Cake

4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sour milk
mixture of cinnamon & sugar, to taste, for topping

Preheat oven to 350°

Sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.  Add brown sugar and cut in butter.  After mixture is crumbly, add sour milk.  Form the dough into a ball and flatten to 1' thick.  Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes on cookie sheet until toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment:

Pat Walsh said...

My guess on the cake name is AP stands for all-purpose. Either the cake being good for multiple purposes or it was intended to be made with all-purpose flour. Other than that it sounds yummy!