Friday, November 27, 2009

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies

My Mom made the best chocolate chip cookies ever! No fooling! She could make them perfectly, my friends would argue they were store bought cause they were always the same size and shape. She would make this huge batches and store them in the large coffee cans or ice cream pails. Of course, she would also hide them all over the house so we couldn't snitch them between meals. We always found them, and man, you were lucky if you could find one of the cans and re-hide it and not have to share with the older brothers.

These cookies were coveted... and as we all got older and moved away from home, Mom would send us a batch for our birthdays, usually in an ice cream pail. One year, she sent my brother a birthday card without cookies. He marked the card - "return to sender - no cookies" and dropped it back in the mail box. So, please don't tell my family I am sharing this well kept secret; I amy not get Christmas presents this year if you do.

3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening (Mom used butter flavored)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix well on medium speed
2 1/3 - 2/1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Sift together and add to creamed mixture
Add 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
Bake on greased cookie sheet
350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. I usually take them out at 12.

I apologize for not including pictures like my co-bloggers did in their recipe posts. The cookies didn't make it to the camera session.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Chocolate chip cookies are the best! :)