Toast with butter. The ultimate comfort food that always managed to soothe my hunger pains when I was small, and still too finicky to eat what was set before me for dinner.
Here's the ingredients for this Valentine's Dish, which can be found in Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast:
- 4-6 tablespoons of butter
- 2 gala apples
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 slices of bread, cut into heart shapes
- sugar for sprinkling
- Melt butter in a skillet, reserving a spoonful for later.
- Finely slice the apples, Nigella leaves the peels on. She writes that she gets 22 slices out of 2 apples, but I did not -- I got much less.
- Add them to the pan and cook for about three minutes.
- Add vanilla and cook for five minutes more, turning the apples once.
- Remove the apples to a plate.
- Add the remaining spoonful of butter to the pan and fry the bread hearts, the croutes.
- Arrange the croutes on the plate with the apples and sprinkle with sugar.
- Serve with cream if you have it on hand.
There's nothing quite like a Valentine's Day Dessert that loves your family, and your soul, at the same time.