Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting Away

By the time you read this, I should be sailing somewhere in the Caribbean. I will have used my passport for the first time, flown after years on land, boarded a ship with thousands of other people, and left all the cares of home behind.

At least that's what I'll tell you.

More realistically, this is how I expect to be feeling:
  • Wondering if the 8-page information sheet I left for the two sets of grandparents is detailed enough so that they can find the kids' medicine. And clothes. And get them on the bus and pick them up from school on time.
  • Hoping that weather and/or medical difficulties haven't put a monkey-wrench in the grandparents' transfer-of-kids plan. (My parents are traveling from North Dakota for the first part of the week, and my father-in-law recently had knee surgery.)
  • Secretly wishing that the weather stays cold, because after this long winter, I'd hate to miss the first respite from the frigid temps. Or perhaps not really caring as long as it's warm where I am.
  • Praying that there are no peanut reactions while we're away from our son for the first time since his allergy was diagnosed.
  • Thankful that a dear friend offered to be Plan B for the kids in case something should come up. And wondering how I can repay her for that kindness.
  • Grateful that my husband and I have family and friends who helped make this special getaway possible, albeit six months after our anniversary.
  • Thinking about my little ones, wondering if they're doing ok without me for a whole week. And missing them terribly.

1 comment:

Midwest Mom said...

Oh, I don't blame you. My husband and I went away for our first overnight in November. (Our children are 7, 6, and 3) I was both thrilled at the adventure and nervous about the kids staying with his parents. It's natural.

I hope things go off without a hitch and you *and* they have a blast!

- Julia at Midwest Moms