Monday, October 27, 2008

Soup to warm the bones and the soul

Today snow flurries dipped across the ground. Already. The flurries only appeared for a few seconds; and they were gone. The wind whipped around, the sky is dreary, and I realized how "unready" I am for winter. Tonight, I'll make a soup to warm everyone up, and fend off the kind of chill that will lead us to a cold. The addition of Buckwheat noodles adds a protein that contains 8 amino acids, B vitamins, zinc and magnesium.

This soup is hearty, yet the addition of soy sauce adds just enough kick to keep this soup from being mundane and boring.
Buckwheat Noodle Vegetable Soup
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 pound beef flank steak, very thinly sliced against the grain.
  • 4 cups chopped bok choy
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 ounces wide buckwheat noodles
  • 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over high heat.
  2. Add beef and cook, stirring often, until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate using tongs, leaving the juices in the pot.
  3. Add bok choy to the pot and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes.
  4. Add broth, cover and bring to a boil.
  5. Add noodles and soy sauce; simmer until the noodles are soft, about 4 minutes.
  6. Return the beef to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bean sprouts and parsley.

Serve hot, and enjoy.

4 comments:

Heather said...

It snowed here yesterday too. Enough that some of my plants had snow on them. Ick. Although I do love soup in the winter, especially if I can make it in the crock pot and forget it until supper time.

This one sounds yummy too.

Kirsetin Morello said...

Susie, tell us, do your four boys enjoy this? I love to make soup and did just last night. I'm pretty sure they got most of their fuel from the bread I served with it, though. Tell us the secret, por favor, if you've managed to convince all of them that soup IS good. (And if not, well, you see that I serve it up anyway, so I'm right there with you.)

Kathie said...

Sounds wonderful. Of course, snow flurries are the lest of our worries here. Earthquakes, hurricanes, or volcanic eruptions are much more likely. But the soup sounds delicious. Blessings from Costa Rica

Anonymous said...

No, they will not. But, I have one son who will eat soup like crazy -- loves it.

For the rest of the three, they will usually drink the broth in a cup, and that's it.

I make sure I have lots of bread available! That's what they fill up on.