Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Is the Doctor In?

Should doctors be required to have a regional specialty? I’m beginning to think that maybe they should. Pediatricians and family doctors who practice in the Midwest must see a spike in calls right now; they must incur an extraordinary demand that’s unique to our locale, one that simply doesn’t exist in the south. Our Midwestern doctors must listen to family after family ask the same question: Will this ever end? How will we make it until then?  And how do these doctors council their families to hang in there, to stay sane, to hold out hope for spring, when we get six inches of snow the night before Easter? I mean, seriously, shouldn’t they receive some extra training for this?

My husband traveled to South Carolina last week for business. He called to report that the grass was green and that pretty white flowers were blossoming on the trees. I hung up on him. I had to get out there and shovel.

My kids, however, think this is great. Woo-hoo. They’re ecstatic about a big snow in March.
“Maybe we’ll have another snow day,” they hope.
“The hundredth this year,” I mutter, to no one in particular.

Our temperatures have warmed enough (high 30s) for the boys to gather in the cul-de-sac and play football, so life is good. Snow does not interfere with their plans. My youngest, at 5, is thrilled that the neighbors have cleared the sidewalks. He takes off on his bike & rides between snow banks, oblivious to my pain.

In my younger years, I lived in places where Easter did indeed mean springtime. There were flowers on trees, and girls wore sundresses (okay, sometimes we were a little chilly) and pretty Easter hats. My boys look at me blankly when I reminisce like this. They simply have no idea what I’m talking about or why I would want things to be any different than they are.

Maybe it’s just me who should get some regional training. Happy spring!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I feel your pain. We're expecting MORE of the white stuff tomorrow. Ack! I'm soooo ready for Spring to really arrive.

Easter was too early this year.

Anonymous said...

I am so DONE with winter. In spite of global warming... we've certainly had our share of global cooling.

Anonymous said...

I hear you!!! I had to laugh at most of the women in church on Sunday in sweaters and coats - when I was growing up, Easter *always* meant a new, lightweight, spring dress. Anyone who tried that here would freeze to death!

The thing I can't get over is the TEASES... I just blogged about a beautiful day spent mainly in my backyard, hours in the sunshine and gentle breezes; the last two days have been 30* and pouring rain. Bah, humbug!