Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Best Chili Ever...

...if I say so myself.

On Super Bowl Sunday, most normal people of my friends cherish the time alone to go shopping or get some crowd-free errands done.  I, on the other hand, can't think of much I'd rather do than watch the game with my family, and enjoy a good bowl of chili with a cold, dark beer. 

Also, you should know that I'm not really a fan of the Crock pot.  The idea of the Crock pot, I love.  But I never seem to have much success with things that come out of it actually tasting good.  Having owned a Crockpot for 18 years now (yep, wedding gift, replaced once), you'd think I could've mastered this thing.  Ah, perhaps interest has something to do with it.  At any rate, there are two--yes two--things I've ever made in the Crock pot that I wanted to make again.  The first is a recipe for Pulled Pork which I just found recently.  Fantastic!  The second is my father-in-law's chili recipe, which I'll share here with you.  Tweak as you see fit, of course.  I, for one, add a whopping amount of Tabasco.

Rich's Rockin' Chili
2 lbs ground beef
3 cans kidney beans (We substitute 1 can with Mexican beans.)
28 oz can whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 - 1 1/2 large green pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 t sugar
2-3 T chili powder
2 packet of chili seasoning
3 T Grey Poupon mustard
few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
few shakes of Tobasco sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Brown ground beef in a saute pan.  Drain & add to Crock pot.  Crush whole tomatoes with hands and pour over ground beef (along with juices from can).  Add beans, tomato paste, green pepper, garlic and onion.  Mix well.  Add all seasonings and mix again.  Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low all day.

You can prepare this the night before and leave the removable stoneware in the fridge.  Just pop it into the Crock pot base in the morning & you're all set.

When the chili is ready, sprinkle it with some Vermont cheddar and pour yourself a drink.  Perfect!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds wonderful! :)