Thursday, March 12, 2009

Simple Thoughts About the Economy

So when I say, “I’ve decided to stop watching the economic reports on the news,” it’s a bit misleading.  I don’t really watch the news anyway.  I can’t remember the last time I saw the 6:00 news (do they still have that?) and, since my Kindergartener leaves the house at 7:15AM a couple of days a week, I’ve taken to missing the 11:00 broadcast, too.

Think I’m missing out?  Don’t fret.  I get the news, just not on TV.  I am, admittedly, a bit of a NY Times junkie.  Perhaps you knew that because of this or this or this.  No?  Okay, well, I admit it.  The thing I love about the newspaper or online news is that you can pick and choose.  You don’t have to sit down at the pre-assigned time and listen to the local anchors lead with Exciting Story of the Day.  If it’s 3 PM and you’re in the mood to find out the latest on Chris Brown and Rihanna, it’s a flip of a page away.  Thanks, Arts section.  At 9:00 PM when you’re wondering what the Op Eds had to say today, it’s as easy as pie. You can log right in and find out.  Want to check the latest on the NCAA?  Pick your time, hoopster fan.

Moreover, if you’re like me, you can skip the parts of the news you prefer to ignore for awhile.  How many people lost their job today?  How much did my top stocks go down?  Does my state still have the most unemployed people in the country?  Do I want to read this again?  No, I do not.

Okay, fine.  There is a part of me that wants to know. Even though it’s been a lot of years since I made a living there, I miss the business world and what happens in it still interests me.  I care about our economy and what’s happening to us and what it means for our children.  But I believe it will get better, and by “better” I don’t mean we’ll return to the same 'spend it all, as fast as you can, bigger, better, sparklier' mentality that has plagued us for the past couple of decades. 

I saw a very amusing video on youtube this morning, sent to me by a friend.  It’s a short clip of Conan interviewing comedian Louis CK.  I know everyone abhors the click over, but come on.  Click.  Just this once.  You’ll be glad you did.  He’s funny, but he’s got a really good point.  Then, if you’re feeling really generous, click back and tell us:  Do you agree?  What do you think?  

Everything's Amazing, Nobody's Happy:  CLICK HERE now


photo credit:  cursed thing

4 comments:

Lorraine Akemann said...

I thought this video was extrememly amusing and helps put things into perspective. Thanks for the reminder that not everything has to be as bad as it seems, and that sometimes it's your view that can make a difference.

Mayberry said...

I do agree, and anyway I LOVE Louis CK! Have had a crush on him for years ;) but even if I didn't, I do think he makes a whole lot of sense here.

Midwest Mom said...

I love his description of flying. Where is the wonder? We worry that we have to take off our shoes to get in the airport. We complain about waiting... That's why it's great to travel with a child. Not the whole herd -- just one. To watch his or her face as the plane takes off, or to watch them see how close they can possibly get their faces to the window to see what the ground looks like the whole way there. It's fantastic.

He could be right -- we might need to be blasted back to the donkey days for that kind of wonder to be commonplace again. ... Or we could just spend a little time looking at the world like our children do.

I'll take option #2.

Fun post! Thanks! - Julia

Anonymous said...

Laughs are so precious/valuable in the media today... thank you!