Monday, December 13, 2010

Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments: Gifts & Indoor Entertainment in One

When it's dark around 5:00, and cold and blustery outside, I find that having a few indoor activities for kids is a good idea.  Math may not be my strong suit, but even I can do this one:
Energetic kids + nothing to do = no good can come of this.

photo credit: Erin B.
Despite my complete lack of craft skills, I enjoyed making ornaments to give as gifts when I was a kid.  Now my kids enjoy it, too.  If you find yourself in need of indoor entertainment, you can take advantage of this idea and cross a few small gifts off your list at the same time.

There are lots of Salt-Dough Ornament recipes on the Internet.  Basically, you need:

1/2 c salt
1 c flour
1/2 c water

Beyond ingredients, one of the best descriptions I found for how to make salt dough ornaments was here, at katy's blog.  She also has beautiful photos and great tips for baking and decorating the ornaments.

Cheap, easy, fun:  it's the perfect indoor winter activity!

No comments: